There’s more to Sonoma County than velvety pinot noirs and buttery chardonnays. The quiet coastline offers a tranquil escape and an idyllic place to recharge after a few days packed with wine tastings. When scheduling your next trip to wine country, make sure to carve out some time on the itinerary for a couple nights by the water at the gorgeous Sonoma County hotel Bodega Bay Lodge.
- Stunning coastal views, calming sea breeze and the fog rolling in and out
- Refreshingly quiet, not-over commercialized fishing village setting
- Scenic low-lying marsh on one side of the bay, near the lodge; rocky cliffs and a dramatic shoreline at Bodega Head, on the opposite side of bay
- Shingled buildings line the grassy bluff, blending in well with the natural setting
- Casual, seaside luxury vibe
- There’s a heated pool for swimming, as well as a large Whirlpool infinity hottub
- Spa and gym on the property
- Multiple fire-pits and outdoor nooks affording great views
- All suites face out toward the Pacific for beautiful views and sunsets
- Spacious suites are well appointed with large showers and soaking tubs
- High quality binoculars can be found in each room to help with whale watching
- A large but cozy living space lies off the bedroom area and opens with sliding glass doors to the deck or patio area
- The nicer dining room area is called Drake’s Sonoma Coast Cuisine; a more relaxed dining option sits right next door, called Drake’s Fireside Lounge. Both spots have similar menus, with standout dishes being the BBQ oysters (signature to the area) and the dungeness crab cake appetizer
- Lots of great, laid-back seafood restaurants just down the road in Bodega Bay. Local favorites are The Tides, Spud Point Crab Company (world famous clam chowder), and a wine bar called Gourmet Au Bay.
- On property, you can roast s’mores by the fire, play a game of bocce ball, walk down to the water, or grab some binoculars and a seat in one of the addironack chairs and keep a lookout for whales and other wildlife
- Nearby: Hike the beautiful Bodega Head Trail (much more scenic than it is strenuous) for the best views of the rugged coastline; small group whale watching tours, kayak or standup paddle board in the bay; visit nearby Sonoma wineries
For more information on Bodega Bay Lodge and availability:
New favorite finds....
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Carmel Valley, CA
Every so often, we visit a property that truly takes our breath away. The photos
Nestled into the rolling vineyards of Sonoma wine country lies the #12 hotel in the